In part one we looked at what the skin barrier does, how it works and introduced the role of plant oils in strengthening it. But which plant oils are particularly important for supporting normal skin function? We’ll be sharing some of the most effective ones in today’s post…
5 OF THE BEST PLANT OILS FOR SKIN
- Rosehip Oil: Rosehip oil contains essential fatty acids and Vitamins A, E and C which are natural sources of antioxidants. With its high Vitamin A content (a natural retinol), the oil converts into trans-retinoic acid when applied to the skin which helps support cell generation and increases collagen and elastin in the skin. The Vitamin E and C oxidants protect the skin from damage caused by environmental aggressors and air pollutants. When the skin gets damaged, the oil closes up the cracks to repair the skin’s protective barrier, sealing in moisture. They also help to even out skin tone and brighten the skin with the Vitamin C components working on the top layer and Vitamin E working deeper into the skin. Rosehip oil is one of the few oils which is clinically proven to increase moisture, elasticity and reduce wrinkles – leaving you with happy and healthy skin.
You might also like to read: Rosehip Oil – A Natural Retinol
- Pomegranate Seed Oil: Pomegranate seed oil contains an abundance of antioxidants and is rich in an omega 5 fatty acid called Punicic Acid or Conjugated Linolenic Acid. This protects the skin barrier by stimulating the cells in the epidermis and promoting regeneration. It is believed to have anti-inflammatory properties as it hydrates the skin and smooths the redness and inflammation – it may even help reverse skin damage! Pomegranate seed oil also aids collagen production and improves the skin’s texture and elasticity, making dull skin look revitalised, smooth and plumped.
You might also like to read: Pomegranates Are Not Just For Salads
- Marula Seed Oil: High in Vitamins C and E, and essential fatty acids (omegas 6 and 9), Marula seed oil (Africa’s beauty secret) nourishes and hydrates by protecting the skin against free radicals and sealing in moisture thanks to its Oleic Acid. This miracle oil also improves skin tone, firmness and elasticity whilst softening the appearance of aging. As well as the skin, this oil also benefits hair and nails. The molecules in it are much smaller than traditional hydrating oils so they can absorb deeper and more easily.
You might also like to read: Marula Seed Oil – A Miracle Oil
- Organic Sweet Almond Oil: Sweet Almond Oil is known as a natural skin strengthener as it is rich in vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B, D and E, magnesium, calcium, potassium, iron and zinc. These are essential for maintaining healthy skin. Organic sweet almond oil helps with the restoration of the moisture barrier, relieves dryness and promotes skin cell regeneration.
- Organic Argan Oil: Due to having high levels of Vitamin E and essential fatty acids (oleic acid and linoleic acid), Argan oil nourishes by penetrating the skin to boost moisture and activate natural lipids (fats) to protect the skin barrier. It also helps to moisturise dry, flaky skin and to strengthen the tissues in our skin which slows down accelerated aging caused by lifestyle/environmental factors.
Being aware of what can damage the skin barrier, whilst supporting its regeneration with skin strengthening plant oils, will give skin the best chance possible to radiate with health, and experience less episodes of reactions and sensitivities. We strongly believe in the power of these oils – so much so, we included rosehip, marula and pomegranate oils in our face oil and eye oil. Organic Sweet Almond Oil features in our face oil, while Organic Argan Oil is a key ingredient in our eye oil. You can learn more about the ingredients and why we only use cold pressed plant oils here and here.
DO YOU HAVE ANY FAVOURITE PLANT OILS YOU LOOK FOR IN YOUR SKINCARE?
We’d love for you to tell us in a comment below.